Canford places literacy at the heart of learning, Head of English, Richard Redwood, recommends inspiring reads for 16 year olds and the Canford library launches new systems to keep Canford Covid-secure.
House Debating Competition
The final of the House Debating Competition took place on Friday 7th February. Selected representatives from all Houses took part in one of five debates, on the following motions,
· This House Believes Genetic Engineering Undermines the Nature of Humanity
· This House Believes that Capitalism has Failed the Poor
· This House Believes that Stormzy is More Relevant than Shakespeare
· This House Believes Drone Warfare is Ethical and Effective
· This House Believes that Social Media has Successfully Reinvented Social Activism
As ever, it was a hotly contested and very entertaining event with pupils displaying impressive arguments as they put forward their cases. The final winners were School House, followed by Beaufort in 2nd place and Court coming 3rd.
Richard Redwood, Head of English said: “The House Debating competition this year saw a broad range of diverse topics. It was a lively evening, which saw School House come out on top after a memorable speech promoting Stormzy as more relevant that Shakespeare. Many congratulations to all those taking part on excellent performances.”
Canford offers many opportunities for pupils to develop their presentation skills as part of its enrichment programme. This article provides great insight into why debating is so valuable: https://bit.ly/2W6LmMh
- Co Curricular
- Sixth Form