Tony Diprose appointed Director of Sport and Physical Wellbeing from January 2020
Canford geographers will follow the AQA GCSE course.
The course is divided into three sections, assessed through exam papers at the end of Fifth Form. There is no coursework or controlled assessment.
Section 1 - Living with the physical environment - Written exam: 1 hour 30 minutes:
- The challenge of natural hazards
- Physical landscapes in the UK
- The living world
Section 2 - Challenges in the human environment - Written exam: 1 hour 30 minutes:
- Urban issues and challenges
- The changing economic world
- The challenge of resource management
Section 3 - Geographical Applications - Written exam: 1 hour
- Issue evaluation
All the exams will have a mix of question styles from multiple choice through to longer extended answers. Your geographical skills will be tested in all three papers.
Canford geographers study the Cambridge International A Level course. It is a linear two year course with all the exams at the end of the Upper Sixth. There is no coursework or controlled assessment.
The course is split into Physical and Human modules and you will have two separate teachers. You will study the following topics :
- Physical topics: Hydrology, Weather, Geology, Hazardous Environments and either Deserts, Coasts or Tropical Environments
- Human topics: Population, Migration, Settlement, and two of these – Agriculture and Industry, Trade, Aid and Tourism, Development or Energy and Environmental Degradation
You will also undertake fieldwork and learning outside the classroom.